In our clinic, we have been using this surgical method for over 10 years, with experience and proven results demonstrated by the low percentage of complications.
Our goal is to make the recovery as comfortable and quick as possible, always prioritizing safety and minimizing complications.
More important than recovering quickly is that everything goes well without avoidable complications.
WHAT IS A MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS?
Mastopexy with implants is a surgery that consists in lifting the breast using prostheses. In these cases, associated with the complaint of having a sagging breast, excess skin, etc., the woman also experiences lack of volume.
Mastopexy with implants/prostheses combines the breast uplift technique with the placement of breast implants (lifting and enlarging the breasts), allowing a more filled cleavage than mastopexy without implants.
The purpose of the surgery is to redesign and lift the sagging breasts using prostheses, thus giving them more consistency. There are varying degrees of breast ptosis, depending on both the position of the nipple and the distribution and position of the mammary gland. These two aspects – nipple and gland – must be properly evaluated and subject to intervention when needed.
FACTORS THAT MAY CAUSE
- Breast size: when the breast is very bulky, due to its weight, it will have a greater tendency to sag. In these cases, a breast reduction is indicated;
- Weight loss/oscillations: in these cases, the breast becomes emptier and tends to droop. Weight fluctuations are associated with more flaccid skin and stretch marks, which makes women feel very uncomfortable with their appearance.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: there is no greater transformation in a woman’s body than that caused by pregnancy. Throughout pregnancy, there is a progressive breast augmentation, which is accentuated after birth, with the production of breastmilk and the breastfeeding itself. Often, after breastfeeding and pre-pregnancy weight normalization, the breast becomes emptier and saggy, often becoming a self-esteem problem.
FOR WHOM IS
A MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS INDICATED?
Mastopexy with implants is indicated for women with the following characteristics:
- They intend to simultaneously raise the breast and increase its volume;
- They aim for a more prominent and filled upper breast (cleavage effect);
- They are overall healthy;
- They have a stable weight;
- They are emotionally mature and have realistic expectations;
- They are Non-smokers.
BEFORE AND AFTER CASES OF Breast Lift with Implants
WHY CHOOSING US FOR YOUR MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS?
- We are one of the most experienced clinics in Portugal in Mastopexy with implants;
- We show our results live, both on television and Instagram (stories);
- Our patients speak for themselves – we are the clinic in Portugal with the most testimonials;
- We are a 100% female team, which allows for a woman-to-woman conversation;
- Natural and personalized results, matching each patient’s expectations;
- We have developed a “No-Pain” anesthesia technique, which grants a more comfortable and peaceful recovery;
- We provide dedicated 24/7 post-op support.
MASTOPEXY WITH OR WITHOUT IMPLANTS?
If you want a very full and pronounced cleavage, then the solution is to use implants. Although the upper part of the breast is also raised in the mastopexy without implants, using them will give a more pronounced “cleavage effect”.
However, if a woman has enough breast tissue, she has to weigh the disadvantages of placing implants, as there are no lifetime implants and they are associated with more revision surgeries.
THE BENEFITS OF POLYURETHANE
IMPLANTS IN MASTOPEXY
In our clinic, we most often use implants with polyurethane foam in this type of surgery. The great advantage of polyurethane is that it allows greater adherence of the implant to the tissues, making the implants stay in the desired position for a longer time, taking longer to droop.
MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS PROCEDURE
The first step of your mastopexy with implants medical appointment is to share with the medical team your expectations and goals regarding the surgery.
2. Simulation with Vectra 3D
In some cases, it is possible to perform a simulation, which will give an idea of what kind of results can be achieved with the surgery, using breast implants of different sizes and shapes.
3. Detailed explanation
During the medical appointment, a personalized treatment plan will be drawn up and the risks of surgery, the pre- and post-operative care you will need, and the results you can expect, will also be thoroughly explained. It is of the utmost importance that you feel comfortable about the decision made. Our team is always available to review all the details so the patients are 100% comfortable with their decision.
After the medical appointment, you will be presented with an exact quote for your mastopexy with implants, according to the surgical plan that was drawn up, and you can schedule your surgery date.
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT
AFTER PERFORMING A MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS?
- A rounder and more natural breast: the mammary gland is repositioned higher and the excess skin is removed. The implants increase the volume and give the breasts a more rounded shape. Patients who undergo this surgery report feeling rejuvenated and with more self-confidence;
- Better breast symmetry: asymmetry is a common feature mainly after breastfeeding, and in some cases, it can be improved through a combination of surgical techniques / implants of different sizes;
- Fuller cleavage: breast implants are an excellent option for women who, more than desiring to increase their breast size, also want a fuller and more pronounced cleavage.
TYPE OF ANESTHESIA
Mastopexy with implants is usually performed with sedation and local anesthesia. Sedation is administered intravenously by the anesthesiologist so that the patient falls asleep and is neither aware nor feels anything during the entire surgery. (The patient will still breathe by herself though, as if soundly asleep).
Local anesthetics are then administered in the area that will be intervened through injections, leading to loss of sensitivity to pain. As the patient is already asleep, she will not feel the stings. The anesthesiologist will be present throughout the surgery to ensure the patient’s comfort and safety and will wake her up at the end of the surgery, before being transferred to the recovery room.
TYPE OF INCISION - SCAR
In mastopexy with prostheses, three types of scar stand out (according to the degree of sagging of the breast):
The circumareolar scar is indicated for cases of mild sagging, where only a small amount of skin needs to be removed. The incision is made around the areola.
This type of scar enables a higher degree of breast elevation than the circumareolar scar and is therefore indicated for mild to moderate degrees of sagging.
Shaped like an anchor, this type of scar involves an incision around the areola, a vertical line from the areola to the breast fold and a horizontal line along the base of the breast. The T-Scar is indicated for more accentuated cases of sagging.
3D SIMULATION OF MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS
We were the first clinic in Portugal to provide real-time simulation to our patients.
Vectra XT 3D is a revolutionary software that enables real time visualization of the “before and after” of a mastopexy with implants procedure, allowing patients to have an idea of the results they can achieve with different types and sizes of silicone prostheses, thus managing their expectations more realistically.
Additionally, if doubt still remains regarding size or shape, it is possible to define the best implant for each specific woman during the surgery itself, making use of “sizers”. “Sizers” are molds similar to the true breast implants, which can be tried out during the surgery in order to predict the best outcome.
MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS STEP-BY-STEP
MARKING PATIENTS WHILE STANDING
The markings are made with the patient standing so that we can correctly visualize the sagging of the breasts, the existing asymmetry and the amount of skin to be removed.
The sedative is administered intravenously by the Anesthesiologist who will be present throughout the surgery.
DISINFECTION AND DELIMITATION OF OPERATING FIELDS
The entire area to be treated is cleaned and disinfected to reduce the risk of infection. Operative fields are set to isolate the area to be treated from the external environment.
The local anesthetic is injected into the area to be treated, with the patient already sedated. No pain is felt during the entire surgery.
The incisions are made in order to eliminate excess skin and restructure the breast tissue. The implants are placed last.
The incisions are closed using absorbable suture threads. The patient is then seated on the table to check the result and symmetry.
The glue is applied over the scars and seals the skin, isolating the scar from the external environment. It does not require dressings and falls off gradually after 15 days.
Before being transported to a recovery room, a post-surgical bra is worn which must then be used for 30 days. The patient is awakened by the anesthesiologist and is then transported to the recovery room where she remains under observation before getting discharged.
PREPARATION FOR THE MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS
- Do not take aspirin or any anticoagulant medication in the two weeks prior to the surgery. On the day of the medical appointment, the patient must inform the medical team of any medication she is on, and any medical condition she suffers from.
- Do not smoke two weeks before and after the surgery, as the consumption of nicotine compromises the oxygenation of the tissues, negatively affecting the healing process.
- If you get a cold or feel ill in any way in the days prior to the surgery, the medical team should immediately be informed.
- Read all the documentation a few days before the surgery, as some questions may arise.
- If you have babies or young children, organize your routines in advance. You should have help at home during the first few days.
- If you have any doubts regarding the mastopexy with implants surgery, preparation or post-operative care, do not wait for the day of surgery; ask all your questions beforehand.
- Both on the day of surgery and the day before you should have light meals only, in order to avoid indigestion. You should be fasting for 8 hours before the surgery - do not eat or drink any liquids including water.
- Shower with the prescribed antiseptic shower gel the day before and the day of surgery.
- Do not wear jewelry or a watch, do not wear makeup or nail varnish.
- Bring comfortable clothes to wear when you are discharged - preferably with buttons or a zip to avoid lifting your arms.
- After discharge, you can neither drive nor go home unaccompanied. If you have no one to take you home, you must inform us before the day of the surgery.
Recovery and postoperative care
- Rest and avoid physical efforts.
- Take the prescribed medication.
- Comply with the physiotherapy program (lymphatic drainage).
- Do not drive for 8 days.
- Wear the surgical bra for 30 days.
- Use the band for 15 days.
- Avoid smoking.
- Drink water frequently and follow a balanced diet.
- Attend all follow-up medical appointments.
- If you live more than 60 minutes away from Lisbon, you must either stay overnight at the clinic or choose accommodation nearby, and you must be accompanied. Our team will be happy to help with your logistics.
BENEFITS OF MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS
Mastopexy with implants, also known as augmentation mastopexy, combines the benefits of a breast lift and an augmentation mammoplasty in one single surgical act – it raises the sagging breasts and increases their size. Some of the main benefits include:
- One surgery instead of two;
- One single recovery period;
- One anesthesia;
- The combination of a breast with the mastopexy provides a harmonious and natural result in patients with sagging and empty breasts.
Dr. Luísa Magalhães Ramos / Plastic Surgery
PORTUGUESE MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, Nr. 42810
Graduated by the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Porto, she specialized in plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery, at Hospital de São José, in Lisbon.
Throughout her training, she subspecialized in aesthetic plastic surgery, having worked in world-renowned clinics.
Currently, she is mainly dedicated to face and breast aesthetic plastic surgery and to intimate female surgery.
Dr. Marta Gouveia Duarte / Plastic Surgery
Member of The Portuguese Medical Association, Nº 57817
Licenciada em Medicina pela Escola de Ciências da Saúde da Universidade do Minho, onde concluiu a sua tese de Mestrado em Envelhecimento Humano.
Concluiu a especialidade em Cirurgia Plástica Reconstrutiva e Estética, no Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central – Hospital de São José.
Colabora em vários projetos de investigação na NOVA Medical School.
Dr. Alice Varanda Pereira / Plastic Surgery
Member of The Portuguese Medical Association, Nr. 47051
Graduated by the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Lisbon, she completed her master’s degree in human sexuality and is currently developing her PhD at this same institution.
She joined the University faculty academic staff in 2008 as a lecturer of the Institute of Anatomy. It is in this unit that she produces most of her research projects, mainly in the area of surgical anatomy, whilst also supervising master’s thesis for undergraduate students.
Dr. Mariana da Rocha Martins / Plastic Surgery
Member of The Portuguese Medical Association – Nr. 55124
Graduated by the Abel Salazar Institute of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Porto and specialized in reconstructive and aesthetic plastic surgery at Hospital de São José, in Lisbon.
Throughout her specific training in plastic surgery, she worked in internationally renowned institutions such as Institut Kaplan (Barcelona), La Clinic (Montreux) and Great Ormond Street Hospital (London).
Breast Lift with Implants
IS MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS A SAFE SURGERY?
Every surgery has associated risks and a mastopexy is no exception. However, mastopexy is one of the most commonly performed surgeries worldwide, with a very low incidence of complications.
WHAT IS THE PRICE OF MASTOPEXIA WITH IMPLANTS IN LISBON?
The price of a mastopexy with prostheses depends on the initial condition of the breasts, the complexity of the procedure, and the type of implants placed. After the diagnostic medical appointment, a treatment plan and the exact value of the surgery will be presented.
IS IT PREFERABLE WITH OR WITHOUT IMPLANTS?
There is no correct answer to this question, as each case is unique. If you are satisfied with your breast size and just want to lift it, you may be indicated for a mastopexy without prostheses. If your breasts are saggy and empty and you want a more pronounced cleavage, mastopexy with implants may be the best option.
ARE BREAST IMPLANTS FOR LIFE?
Nowadays, breast implants are manufactured to last for many years However, a woman considering a mastopexy with implants should weight the advantages and disadvantages, as there are no lifetime prostheses and revision surgeries may be required.
CAN I UNDERGO A MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS BEFORE GETTING PREGNANT?
Ideally, mastopexy should be performed when a new pregnancy is not a plan anymore. However, sagging or deflated breasts can cause for greatly reduced self-esteem in younger women. In such cases, the emotional benefit and self-esteem improvement must be weighed against the risk that a new surgery may be required after the pregnancy.
CAN I BREASTFEED AFTER A MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS?
Most women who undergo mastopexy with implants and get pregnant after surgery are able to breastfeed. However, there sure is some risk of interference with breastfeeding, so you should always talk to your plastic surgeon about this issue.
AFTER THE SURGERY CAN I STILL GET MAMMOGRAMS?
Yes, you can and should continue to do so. Mammography remains the recommended screening test, although an MRI scan can also be performed when necessary. Before having a mammogram, you should always inform that you have breast implants so that compression during the exam is performed carefully.
IS THERE AN INCREASED RISK OF BREAST CANCER IN WOMEN WITH IMPLANTS?
There are no studies showing that there is an association between breast cancer and breast implants. Implants are used in reconstructive breast surgery after cancer. Breast cancer affects both women with and without implants. The most important thing is to regularly perform self-examination and screening exams.
WHAT BRANDS OF BREAST IMPLANTS ARE USED?
The prosthesis brands used at the Clínica de Ciruriga Plástica LMR are Mentor, Polytech and Eurosilicone.
AFTER A MASTOPEXY WITH IMPLANTS, CAN THE BREASTS DROP AGAIN?
Mastopexy does not stop the natural aging process. Over the years, the breast may change due to the normal loss of skin elasticity, weight fluctuations or future pregnancies/breastfeeding. In our clinic, we most commonly use polyurethane implants in mastopexies because they allow the implant to adhere to the tissues, thus taking longer to drop. For long-lasting results, it is advisable to maintain weight, to have a balanced diet, to perform physical exercise and to use bras on a daily basis.
HOW LONG UNTIL I CAN USE A RINGED BRA?
For the 30 days following the surgery, you should always wear the surgical bra. After this period, you can start wearing ringed bras, as long as you feel comfortable.
DOES THE SCAR DISAPPEAR?
The scars are permanent, but over time they become thinner and lighter. The final appearance of a scar is expected after 12/18 months and it will depend on the patient’s genetic characteristics and postoperative care.
WILL I NEED DRAINS?
The use of drains is of paramount importance as they help to eliminate the fluids that accumulate in the breast. They are placed whenever necessary and are usually removed within 24 to 48 hours.
WILL I HAVE MY BREASTS SWELLED FOR A LONG TIME?
WILL I HAVE PAIN?
WILL I HAVE MY BREASTS SWELLED FOR A LONG TIME?
Postoperative swelling is normal and is expected during the first three months due to edema. Physical therapy/lymphatic drainage sessions are very important in the recovery process, as they help the body eliminating excess fluids, which are responsible for the post-operative swelling.