WHAT IS A MASTOPEXY WITHOUT IMPLANTS?
Mastopexy without implants or breast uplift consists in repositioning the mammary gland higher. Excess skin and, in some cases, stretch marks are also removed.
In our clinic, the mastopexy without implants is performed according to the technique developed by Prof. Ruth Graf, modified. What is the advantage of this mastopexy technique?
- It uses the sagging part of the breast as a self-prosthesis, meaning, it is “re-used” and repositioned on the upper part of the breast and attached to the pectoral muscle. The breast becomes more harmonious and rounder and less flattened.
- The scars are smaller than in traditional inverted T techniques, as in most cases, only a circumareolar and vertical scar are needed.
FOR WHOM IS A
MASTOPEXY WITHOUT IMPLANTS INDICATED?
- For women who have not lost much breast volume, but experience sagging or excess skin;
- For women who are satisfied with the size of their breast and do not intend to increase the it;
- For women who do not wish to place a foreign body (implant);
- For women who want a very natural breast appearance;
- For women who are overall healthy;
- For women who have a stable weight;
- For women who are emotionally stable and have realistic expectations.
BEFORE AND AFTER CASES OF Breast Lift without Implants
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT
AFTER PERFORMING A BREAST UPLIFT?
More harmonious and natural breasts
Because the mastopexy without prostheses repositions the breasts to their original position while also making it look fuller, patients report feeling rejuvenated and an increase in self-confidence.
Enhanced breast symmetry
Asymmetry is a quite common, especially after breastfeeding. In some cases, it can be improved by placing implants of different sizes or by reducing the larger breast.
A larger cleavage
Mastopexy without prostheses allows you to pronounce the cleavage using the “Auto-Prosthesis” technique (repositioning existing breast tissue).
Harmonious Body Contour
The goal of mastopexy without implants is to use the existing breast tissue to achieve a firmer and rounder breast, perfectly balanced with the woman’s physical characteristics.
The first step of your medical appointment regarding mastopexy without implants, is to share with the medical team your expectations and goals regarding the surgery.
2. Simulation with Vectra 3D
It enables the simulation of the mastopexy without implants, giving you an idea of the possible outcome.
3. Detailed explanation
During the medical appointment, a personalized surgical plan will be presented and the risks of the surgery as well as needed care will be explained.
After the diagnostic medical appointment, you will be presented with an exact quote for your mastopexy without implant, according to the surgical plan that was drawn up.
Type of Anesthesia
Mastopexy without implants is performed with sedation and local anesthesia. Sedation is administered intravenously by the anesthesiologist so that the patient falls asleep. Local anesthetics are then injected to induce loss of sensitivity to pain. The anesthesiologist is present throughout the whole procedure, for greater comfort and safety.
Type of Incision - Scar
The circumareolar scar involves an incision in the transition zone from the areola to the breast skin. It is indicated for cases of mild sagging.
It involves an incision around the areola and a vertical line from the areola to the inframammary fold. It is indicated for cases of moderate sagging.
It implies a circumareolar scar, a vertical line and a horizontal line in the inframammary fold. It is indicated for more severe cases of breast sagging.
Your Mastopexy in 3D
Vectra XT 3D is a revolutionary software that enables real time visualization of the “before and after” of a mastopexy without implants procedure, allowing you to have a very real idea of the result that can be achieved with the surgery.
MARKING THE PATIENT
The markings are made with the patient standing to enable correct visualization of the degree of breast sagging, the areola position, the existing asymmetry and the amount of skin to be removed.
The sedative is administered intravenously by the Anesthesiologist who will be present throughout the surgery.
DISINFECTION AND DELIMITATION OF OPERATING FIELDS
The breast and adjacent areas are disinfected to reduce the risk of infection. Then, sterile operating fields are placed to isolate the intervention area from the external environment.
Local anesthesia is injected into the breast area. The patient will already be asleep, so she will feel neither the stings nor any kind of pain during the surgery.
Incisions are made according to the type of scar previously defined.
RESTRUCTURING THE BREAST TISSUE
The breast tissue is restructured and repositioned higher.
RECONSTRUCTING THE AREOLAS
The areolas are repositioned more centrally and, whenever necessary, their size is reduced.
The incisions are closed using absorbable suture threads, in a way to support the new breast structure.
The glue is applied over the scars. It does not require dressings and falls off gradually after 15 days.
A post-surgical bra is worn which must then be used for 30 days. The patient is awakened by the anesthesiologist and is then transported to the recovery room where she remains under observation before getting discharged.
Preparation for the mastopexy without implants
- Do not take aspirin or any anticoagulant medication in the two weeks prior to the surgery. On the day of the medical appointment, the patient must inform the medical team of any medication she is on, and any medical condition she suffers from.
- Do not smoke before surgery and while the healing process is taking place, in order to promote proper healing;
- If you get a cold or feel ill in any way in the days prior to the surgery, the medical team should immediately be informed.
- Carefully read all the documentation provided regarding the mastopexy without implants, as some questions may arise;
- If you have babies or young children, you should have help at home during the first few days;
- If you have any doubts regarding the preparation or post-operative care of the mastopexy without implants, do not wait for the day of surgery; ask all your questions beforehand.
- Both on the day of surgery and the day before you should have light meals only, in order to avoid indigestion. You should be fasting for 8 hours before the surgery - do not eat or drink any liquids including water.
- Shower with the prescribed antiseptic shower gel the day before and the day of surgery.
- Do not wear jewelry or a watch, do not wear makeup or nail varnish.
- Bring comfortable clothes to wear when you are discharged - preferably with buttons or a zip to avoid lifting your arms.
- After discharge, you can neither drive nor go home unaccompanied. If you have no one to take you home, you must inform us before the day of the surgery.
- The surgery’s end result is directly linked to postoperative care, which is why it is of the utmost importance to strictly follow all medical indications:
- Take the prescribed medication;
- Do not drive for 8 days;
- Use the surgical bra for 30 days;
- Use the band for 15 days;
- Comply with the physiotherapy program (lymphatic drainage);
- Return to work is expected after one to two weeks (sedentary professions);
- Avoid smoking;
- Drink water frequently and following a balanced diet;
- Attend all follow-up medical appointments.
- If you live more than 60 minutes away from Lisbon, you must either stay overnight at the clinic or choose accommodation nearby, and you must be accompanied. Our team will be happy to help with your logistics.
Benefits of a Mastopexy without Implants
- It provides a very natural result to the eye and to the touch;
- It enables a fuller cleavage without resorting to breast implants;
- It avoids the risks associated with breast implants;
- The patient does not have to worry about implant replacement surgeries.
Dr. Luísa Magalhães Ramos / Plastic Surgery
PORTUGUESE MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, Nr. 42810
Graduated by the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Porto, she specialized in plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery, at Hospital de São José, in Lisbon.
Throughout her training, she subspecialized in aesthetic plastic surgery, having worked in world-renowned clinics.
Currently, she is mainly dedicated to face and breast aesthetic plastic surgery and to intimate female surgery.
Dr. Alice Varanda Pereira / Plastic Surgery
Member of The Portuguese Medical Association, Nr. 47051
Graduated by the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Lisbon, she completed her master’s degree in human sexuality and is currently developing her PhD at this same institution.
She joined the University faculty academic staff in 2008 as a lecturer of the Institute of Anatomy. It is in this unit that she produces most of her research projects, mainly in the area of surgical anatomy, whilst also supervising master’s thesis for undergraduate students.
Dr. Marta Gouveia Duarte / Plastic Surgery
Licenciada em Medicina pela Escola de Ciências da Saúde da Universidade do Minho, onde concluiu a sua tese de Mestrado em Envelhecimento Humano.
Concluiu a especialidade em Cirurgia Plástica Reconstrutiva e Estética, no Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central – Hospital de São José.
Colabora em vários projetos de investigação na NOVA Medical School.
Dr. Mariana da Rocha Martins / Plastic Surgery
Member of The Portuguese Medical Association – Nr. 55124
Graduated by the Abel Salazar Institute of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Porto and specialized in reconstructive and aesthetic plastic surgery at Hospital de São José, in Lisbon.
Throughout her specific training in plastic surgery, she worked in internationally renowned institutions such as Institut Kaplan (Barcelona), La Clinic (Montreux) and Great Ormond Street Hospital (London).
Breast Lift without Implants
IS MASTOPEXY A SAFE SURGERY?
Mastopexy without implants is considered a very safe surgery. However, every surgical procedure, in whatever form, is associated with a certain risk. To perform your surgery safely and reduce the risk of complications, make sure you choose a certified clinic and a reconstructive and aesthetic plastic surgeon with several years of experience in performing breast uplift surgeries.
HOW MUCH DOES A MASTOPEXY WITHOUT PROSTHESIS COST IN LISBON?
The price of a mastopexy without implants depends on the initial state of the breast and the severity of the symptoms shown – degree of sagging, existence of asymmetries, characteristics of the areolas are some of them. The exact value of the mastopexy without implants for each case will be presented after a medical diagnosis, during medical appointment.
IS IT BETTER WITH OR WITHOUT IMPLANTS?
Each case is unique and must be dealt individually. If you have enough breast tissue and are satisfied with the size of the breast, you may be suitable for a mastopexy without implants. If your chest is sagging, soft and empty, a mastopexy with implants may be the best option.
CAN I UNDERGO A MASTOPEXY BEFORE GETTING PREGNANT?
A mastopexy can be performed before or after giving birth. However, if getting pregnant is a short term possibility for you, it is more prudent to hold on the surgery. Pregnancy and breastfeeding are responsible for a large part of the changes that occur in the aesthetics of the breast, which may compromise the result of the surgery.
CAN I BREASTFEED AFTER A MASTOPEXY?
Although interference with breastfeeding is a potential risk, most women who undergo mastopexy and become pregnant after the surgery are able to breastfeed their babies. If you are thinking of having more children, you should share this with the medical team during your appointment.
AFTER THE SURGERY CAN I STILL GET MAMMOGRAMS?
Yes. Mammography remains the recommended screening test, although an MRI scan can also be performed. You should keep doing screening tests according to medical instructions.
DOES A MASTOPEXY WITHOUT IMPLANTS GUARANTEE A LIFETIME RESULT?
Mastopexy does not stop the natural aging process. As we age, the breast continues to change due to the normal loss of skin elasticity, weight fluctuations and future pregnancies/breastfeeding. However, the starting point would be better. Weight maintenance, a healthy diet and physical exercise are recommended for longer lasting results.
HOW LONG UNTIL I CAN USE A RINGED BRA?
For the 30 days following the surgery, you should always wear the surgical bra. After this period, you can start wearing ringed bras, as long as you feel comfortable.
DOES THE SCAR DISAPPEAR?
The scars do not disappear, but, over time, they become thinner and lighter. The final appearance of a scar is expected after 12/18 months and it will depend on several factors, such as the patient’s genetic characteristics and postoperative care.
WILL I NEED DRAINS?
The use of drains is of paramount importance as they help to eliminate the fluids that accumulate in the breast after surgery. They are placed whenever necessary and are usually removed within 24 to 48 hours.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS AND COMPLICATIONS OF A MASTOPEXY WITHOUT IMPLANTS
Every surgery has potential risks and complications, and a mastopexy without implants is no exception. Although uncommon, prolonged edema, hematoma, infection, changes in sensitivity and prolonged/unsightly scarring can occur. The risks and complications of surgery will be discussed in detail during the medical appointment.
IS THE RECOVERY OF A MASTOPEXY WITHOUT PROSTHESIS PAINFUL?
The postoperative period of a mastopexy without implants is generally well tolerated. However, during the first few days, you may experience tiredness, discomfort and moderate pain. Taking the prescribed medication will help to ease the discomfort.
HOW LONG DO THE BREASTS REMAIN SWOLLEN AND WHEN WILL I SEE THE FINAL RESULT?
Postoperative swelling is normal and is expected during the first three months due to edema. Lymphatic drainage is very important to relieve discomfort and reduce edema. The final result of the mastopexy is to be expected within 6 to 12 months after surgery.